The summer break is here and you would think it was a time to take a break, relax and soak up the sun. But, as all of us know, it’s not quite that simple. The kids are home from school, we have holiday trips to plan and we have to visit our families in our home countries.
How do we fit all of this in without going crazy? I’m getting stressed just thinking about it.
- We need to go home to visit our family and they stress me out.
- How can I get this whole trip planned on time?
- Have I packed everything we need for the trip, and if not what happens if I forget something?
- Everyone wants to see us, how do we fit them all into our trip?
- How will I keep the kids occupied?
- Will everyone be happy during our trip and how do I make sure everyone is having fun?
Let’s just step back a little instead of getting stressed out with the big picture. No matter how hard you try or how much time or energy you put into it, it will never be a “Perfect” trip or vacation.
First we must accept that we can only do so much. We are human after all.
Just this once, try to let it flow. Picture a stream and you are the leaf on top of the water gently flowing downstream, going with the current.
If you don’t go with the flow, you will get stressed out, your family will get stressed out and everyone will be unhappy. But, if you just let it flow, everyone else will follow and you can go with the current and flow gently down the stream instead of getting snagged in the bushes or branches.
There is a Hopi Elders Poem that explains this well.
There is a river flowing now very fast,
It is so great and swift.
That there are those who will be afraid,
They will try to hold onto the shore.
They will feel they are being pulled apart,
And will suffer greatly.
Understand that the river knows its destination,
The elders say we must let go of the shore.
Push off into the middle of the river,
Keep our eyes open and our heads above water.
And I say; see who is in there with you,
Hold fast to them and celebrate!
— attributed to an unnamed Hopi elder, Hopi Nation, Oraibi, Arizona
So, instead of trying to grab onto the shore, just take a few minutes, take a deep breath, relax and go with the flow.
Tips on how to go with the flow.
- Take a few minutes to just sit down, away from any distractions, and just breath. Take a deep breath and hold it for six seconds and let it out for six seconds and repeat.
- Take a walk in nature and hug a tree. Walking barefoot on the earth (earthing) is also very relaxing and calms down your nervous system.
If you are familiar with mindfulness take a few minutes to focus on something in nature, outside your window, in your back yard, on the street – a tree, a bird, a flower. Just focus on this and listen to your breathing and slowly relax while you tune into this amazing piece of the universe. After a few minutes you can step out of this and you will see the world a lot more clearly.
- Meditation is very relaxing, even if it’s just for 5 to 10 minutes. Just sit or lie down and close your eyes. Focus on your body and your breathing – the rhythm of your breath and how your body moves as you breath. Slowly release your stress from the tips of your toes to the top of your head as you focus on those areas and they become less stressed and relaxed with breathing.
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is a very effective way of bringing down your stress with just a few taps of your fingers on the energy meridians on your face, hands and chest. There are many tapping points but just tapping with your fingertips or palm on your chest or on the top of your head can be very effective.
Let it flow and have a nice, relaxing summer break.
HealthyLux July theme – Holiday time